At a time when the pandemic poses new challenges and tests the economy on a global scale, MYTILINEOS has demonstrated strong resilience and continues to do so. Maintaining all its production units in operation, without hitch in the supply chain and also in processing customer orders, it effectively contributes to its own shielding and to supporting the Greek economy without any reduction in the safety of its employees. Focusing on maintaining an uninterrupted operation, the Company took strict measures to reduce the potential threat from Covid-19, long before it became a pandemic. Particular emphasis has been placed and continues to be placed on ensuring its competitiveness and operational efficiency. Specifically:
The following measures were implemented at the operational level:
- Developing business continuity plans with targeted measures for our production units; they are in full force and are being adapted according to developments.
- Establishing a communication and management network consisting of special teams, in all of the Company's facilities both in Greece and abroad.
- Continuously reviewing the necessity of business trips and visits to production units. In particular, guests are provided with a "welcome kit" containing face masks and sanitiser.
- Putting in place special safety measures at Protergia Energy stores.
- Putting in place procedures and establishing areas for locating and isolating potential outbreaks of the virus in office premises and industrial facilities.
- Adopting additional special measures in the Metallurgy Business Unit, such as: a) discontinuing mass transfer of personnel to the aluminium plant by leased buses - giving incentives for commuting by private vehicle, subsidising a part of the fuel; b) closing locker rooms and providing single-use protective clothing; c) avoidance of crowding in control rooms and notification of shift change by telephone.
The following measures were aimed at the financial level:
- Maintaining the Company's liquidity.
- Continuing the implementation of 70% of its investment program and re-evaluating the remaining 30% pending the effects of the pandemic.
- Planning for transforming part of the Company's activities in order to participate dynamically in Sustainable Development projects which require advanced know-how; also in view of the major projects that have been announced in Greece, in the context of restarting the economy in the post Covid-19 era.
- Granting a bonus of more than € 1m. to employees in the production lines of the factories in recognition of their significant contribution to the smooth operation of the Company.