Sustainable Development Report 2019

Raw& other materials As regards the use of natural resources, the quantity of bauxite used in the Metallurgy sector to produce aluminium and alumina in 2019 remained stable compared to 2018, while the total quantity of natural gas used in the Electric Power sector, which is not recyclable and is not a renewable source, increased by 10%. The EPC & Infrastructure Projects sector does not manage pri- mary natural resources, but instead uses semi-finished or finished products. In detail: In the Metallurgy sector , approximately 2.58 million tons of raw materials were used in 2019, to produce primary aluminium prod- ucts, a quantity marginally increased by 4.5% from 2018. Of this total quantity, 82% was bauxite, while the remaining 18% regarded the use of other raw materials from non-renewable sources. MYTILINEOS, in its effort to limit the consumption of natural resources and to reduce the energy required in aluminium production, has adopted in its production process the practice of recasting aluminium waste (scrap) that replaces the use of raw materials. Furthermore, in this direction, the Company has also expanded its activities in the industrial production, treatment and trading of metals and in particular of aluminium alloys and their products, investing in the know-how of optimal treatment of alu- minium scrap, so as to be able, in the years to come, to produce raw materials again, spending a much lower quantity of energy The EPC & Infrastructure Projects sector does not manage primary natural resources, but instead uses semi-finished or finished products, according to the detailed plans/drawings and procedures for each project, which specify with great accuracy each material to be used, its manufacturing method and its exact position and operation. The percentage of recycled materials used in the implementation of projects in the EPC & Infrastructure Projects sector showed a notable increase by 6.2% . Additionally, a key criterion in the design stage of the projects that the Company is carrying out as an EPC Contractor is the maximum possible use of recyclable materials. The Company's requests for proposals and contracts with suppliers of materials and equipment contain a specific clause regarding their compliance with the requirements of the ISO-14001 International Standard, specifically referring to the prohibition of using environmentally hazardous materials and the obligation to make the maximum possible use of recyclable materials. Weight (in tons) of materials used in the production and packaging of the Company's main products [GRI 301-1] 2017 2018 2019 Basic Materials Metallurgy Sector Raw materials 2,206,869 2,230,841 2,265,428 Bauxite, Alumina, Aluminium Scrap Materials (not incorporated in the end product) 235,968 230,818 312,339 Anodes, Lime, Soda, Coke Packaging materials 987 978 1,308 Pine planks Total 2,469,091 2,443,739 2,579,075 Recycled materials - 2,885.6 39,921 Aluminium scrap Percentage of recycled input materials [GRI 301-2] 0.1% 1.54% EPC & Infrastructure Projects Sector Materials (not incorporated in the end product) 242.0 252.68 256.0 Welding gases, Oxygen Semi-finished products 866.4 577.94 649.3 Steel Packaging materials 5.9 6.4 4.5 Nylon Total 1,114.2 837.0 909.8 Recycled materials - 191.1 235.2 Steel Percentage of recycled input materials [GRI 301-2] 24.3% 25.8% 1 1. Of the 909.8 tons of total weight of materials used and incorporated in the end product, steel (in the form of plates, merchant bars or other project materials) accounted for approximately 588 tons. Around 40% of the EU's total steel production comes from electric arc furnaces, in which steel is produced from 100% recycled raw material (scrap) (Source: eur-lex.europa. eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=COM:2013:0407:FIN:EL:PDF, Strasbourg, 11.6.2013,COM(2013) 407 final, p.27). Thus, 235.2 tons (40% of 588 tons) correspond to recycled steel. In the Electricity Sector , the raw material used in power plants is natural gas, which is not recycled nor is it a renewable source. The annual consumption of natural gas in the thermal units of the Company is associated with fluctuations in electricity production on an annual basis. Other significant environmental issues and thus significantly cutting costs and mitigating the impact on the environment. 89 88

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy MTUzMTQ=