In MYTILINEOS Group, we wish to put our size and dynamism to conscious use for the protection of the environment. To this end, working systematically and responsibly, through our day-to-day practices as well as through concerted actions, we seek to ensure a better environment for ourselves and for our children.
The rational management of the reserves of mineral and natural resources (wind and solar energy, water and fuels), the control of greenhouse gas emissions, the utilisation of residues (e.g. bauxite), the control of air quality and the rehabilitation of the natural landscape in areas affected by mining activities, are the key environmental challenges faced by MYTILINEOS Group across the entire range of its activities.
Driven by our key concern to minimise the unavoidable impacts of our companies' activities on the natural environment, we are implementing environmental protection and industrial hazard control policies that form the basis for a comprehensive and effective system of Environmental Management practices and method. Furthermore, this management system is gradually incorporated in the business activities of all our subsidiaries and in the procedures that define their day-to-day operations.
Our efforts to protect the environment are not limited to the application of the statutory rules and provisions and to the adoption of appropriate measures as required in each case, but is also expressed by our self-commitment to holding regular audits of our activities in our industrial facilities and RES plants, as well as in our corporate headquarters. Our ultimate goal is to have our activities certified in accordance with the ISO 14001 Environmental Management International Standard.
In line with all the above, our key environmental goals are “TO ENSURE THE BEST POSSIBLE UTILISATION OF BAUXITE RESIDUES”, “TO MEASURE REGULARLY AND REDUCE CO2 EMISSIONS” in all our companies, and “TO MANAGE EFFECTIVELY THE REHABILITATION OF THE NATURAL LANDSCAPE AND THE PRESERVATION OF BIODIVERSITY IN THE AREAS AFFECTED BY MINING ACTIVITIES”.
Sustainable development is a core strategic priority for MYTILINEOS Group, not only as an indicator of the Group’s performance in the Corporate Social Responsibility domain but also as a factor which contributes a significant competitive advantage in the energy supply sector.
Measures and Principles adopted by the Group for the protection of the Environment
- Adherence to the agreements and commitments that the Group has undertaken over and above its statutory obligations.
- Assessment of the impacts of the activities of the Group companies on the environment, identification of risks, assessment of the risk of serious accidents due to past, present and future activities, and utilisation of these assessments in the development of long-term programmes and new plans.
- Control and continuous reduction of solid, liquid and gas waste.
- Improvement of the management of residues by promoting recycling or utilisation procedures.
- Control of the consumption of raw materials and energy.
- Prevention of all risks of permanent or accidental pollution, or of other large-scale accidents (development, testing and application of emergency response procedures).
- Study, maintenance and development of suitable prevention and suppression means, especially in cases where installations are modified.
- Correction of all deviations identified, through the introduction and implementation of corrective and preventive action plans.
- Training, sensitisation and provision of information to the personnel in a manner that is adapted to the duties and needs of each employee.
- Motivation of associates (contractors, suppliers, clients) to meet the same environmental and industrial safety requirements.
- Organisation of regular internal and external inspections to assess the performance of the Environmental Management system, the achievement of the targets set and the application of the regulations and principles.